CrowdVoice.org: Protests in Syria

Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Monday, October 31, 2011

A Quick Update from Pre-Service Training (PST)

Hello all,

I hope this message finds you well i would really like to provide pictures soon, but my Internet access is still quite sporadic and getting pictures from my camera to my computer to the Internet is a task that is just a little too overwhelming for me right now. In the meantime, however, I did want you all to know that my life in Jordan is wonderful.

As a Pre-Service Volunteer (PSV) I spend 2 days a week at the Training Center at a university in Mafraq. I spend the other 5 days each week in a home stay with a Jordanian family in a village in between Mafraq and Syria. In fact, I can see Syria across the desert from my bedroom window.

The family I live with is incredibly warm, welcoming, and fun to be around. The food, also, is fabulous. For meals, we always separate by gender, sit on the floor, hide our feet, and eat only with our right hand (and usually without silverware), but I love it.

In the village, we have small-group Arabic language instruction 4 hours per day in addition to 3 hours of practicum with local English teachers in (gender segregated) schools. I don't have much yet to say about these as this schedule does not start until November 1st.

I know this message has been quite abbreviated, but I should have some more interesting and detailed stories to tell in the coming weeks.

Finally, I would like to assure you that I am very happy here in Jordan and to leave you with a couple links to related reading. This first link describes how Manna Project International - Ecuador continues to subscribe to an Assets-Based Community Development model, which is a framework that heavily guides my philosophy and actions in my work. This second link is an Economist article detailing some of the current political situation here in Jordan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram

Popular Posts